Summer is quickly approaching. Divorce mediation can make the summer break much easier on your children. Rather than carrying the pain and frustration of your divorce into your kids’ summer break, you can take advantage of divorce mediation to create a memorable, fun holiday time for the children–and the adults. Here are five tips to make your summer break planning easier.
- Divorce mediation helps put the children first. The number one thought to keep in mind is finding ways to keep the kids first in your summer planning. Rather than thinking of summer holiday time as “your time” or “their time”, remember it is ultimately the children’s time. You want your kids to enjoy their summer break as much as possible, so keeping their time in mind is most important.
- Communication is key. If you and your divorcing spouse are unable to have stress-free conversations for planning purposes, consider using divorce mediation to aid in communicating your most important plans for the summer holidays.
- Try not to get caught up in the costs of it all. Many divorcing couples have a real disparity in income. Try not to get caught up in the material costs of vacation time, no matter which end of the finances you are on. Remember, when it’s all said and done, your children will carry the fondest memories of the time you spent with them, not the money you spent on them.
- Plan early. Take advantage of your divorce mediation sessions now, to plan for all of your summer adventures. Setting up a plan as soon as possible gives everyone time to adjust and accept the changes. This reduces the stress and anger, and leaves more time for fun and enjoyment.
- Put things in writing. While one of the biggest goals of divorce mediation is better communication, obviously, this is a struggle, when two people are divorcing. Working out your summer holiday schedules with a divorce mediator, then put everything into writing.This is an excellent way to prevent future difficulties. While it’s ideal to think you can work through any conflict, having things in writing eliminates the need to fight all summer and lets everyone enjoy the holidays.
Is Divorce Mediation Right For You?
Divorce mediation can be the best way for you and your soon-to-be ex to settle all the issues involved in dissolving your marriage. Mediation can save you time and money and can help you progress from fighting to moving the whole family forward. Call 1 Source Mediation today to begin working out the issues in your divorce.